Monday, October 5, 2009

The Church: A Forgiving Family

This comes from the AM worship service at Montrose Baptist Church on September 6, 2009.


Shortly after the turn of the century, Japan invaded, conquered, and occupied Korea. Of all of Korea's oppressors, Japan was by far the most ruthless. They were brutal and vindictive. Their crimes against women and children were simply inhuman. Still today, there are Koreans living with emotional scars from that occupation.
One group of particular interest to the Japanese were the Christian believers in Korea. As the Japanese army swept through the land, their first actions were often to board up Christian churches, eject foreign missionaries, and arrest key spokesmen for the faith. It was their desire to snuff out the hope and presence of Christianity in Korea.
As you can imagine, hearts filled with anger and resentment toward the Japanese. However, one pastor persistently entreated his local police chief to give their church permission to meet. Finally, his persistence paid off and the doors were unlocked so to allow the people to meet for one service in their little wooden church.
Word spread across the countryside. Believers from far and wide immediately made plans to attend, and even before dawn that morning, families were en-route to the meeting place. As they assembled together, the back doors of the church were shut, sealing out the oppression around them and closing in a burning Spirit to worship their God.
The Korean church has always been known as a singing church. And soon the intermingled voices were too much for the wood frame to contain. For a handful of peasants working nearby, there were two songs that seem suspended in time.
During a stanza of “Nearer my God to Thee,” the police chief issued the order. His officers rushed the building and barricaded the back door. A handful of worshipers in the back could hear the commotion, but paid no attention. Unfortunately, no one sensed the fact the church had been dowsed in kerosene. And with that congregation trapped inside, that wood frame church was ignited.
Their was an immediate rush toward the windows. However, any hope they provided was quickly squandered when those men attempting to leave through the window came crashing back in with a flurry of bullets.
The pastor, then, realizing the sealed fate of the people, led the congregation in a fitting hymn. The first words were ones of haunting to the helpless onlookers, and even tugged at the hearts of the men overseeing the execution.
It started, “Alas, and did my Savior bleed, and did my Sovereign die? Would He devote that sacred Head for such a worm as I?” Just before the roof caved in, they sang the last verse. “But drops of grief can ne'er repay the debt of love I owe: Here Lord, I give myself away, tis all that I can do. At the cross, at the cross, where I first saw the light and the burden of my heart rolled away, it was there by faith, I received my sight, and now I am happy all the day.”
Eventually the melodies of the music were lost in the roaring of the flames. And while the clean-up would be easy, the recovery for the Korean people- and their pain and anguish would not pass so quickly.
In the passing years, a hatred and bitterness toward the Japanese festered in the hearts of the families and countrymen of Korea. While Japan was defeated and removed from occupation and power, the memories lived on. A memorial was erected in honor of those that gave their lives that day, but it also served as a reminder of that pain.
Certainly pain and sorrow are a part of life, but how could anyone hope to overcome anger over such an occasion of brutality and cruelty?
It was not until 1972 that hope came to that countryside. A group of traveling Japanese pastors touring the country passed by that memorial. As they read the names of those that gave their lives, they were filled with shame and horror. They were distraught, and unable to comprehend why their own countrymen would carry out such a despicable act.
They felt personally responsible despite none of them were present (nor were most born at that point).
However, these ministers returned to their country with the mission of righting a past wrong. They quickly took up a collection of a million yen- which is equivalent to approximately $25,000. They transferred that money through the proper channels and sponsored the erection of a white wooden church at the sight of the memorial.
During the dedication of that building, a delegation of Japanese ministers was sent to take part in the service. With their generosity duly noted, the presence of the pain of the people was still apparent as the names of the deceased were read.
It seemed that this service was only another chapter to the pain that festered for decades. However, the director of the service thought that it would only be fitting to end the service by singing the two songs that resonated across the countryside that morning. As they sang together, “Nearer my God to Thee,” the Japanese delegation became to crumble. Where they were normally stoic, tears began to stream down their faces.
At the beginning of “At the Cross,” they could no longer bear the burden and shame of their country's past. They began to earnestly apologize and plead with the Koreans for their forgiveness.
The Koreans, still reeling from years of pent-up anger were not quick to surrender. However, one Korean brother turned to one of the Japanese men and cried out in forgiveness as the chorus rang out, “and the burden of my heart rolled away.” Then another and another. Suddenly, the service was overtaken by the power of true forgiveness. Japanese tears of repentance and guilt were intermingled with the relinquished Korean tears of forgiveness.
On that day, that horrendous sight was bathed by the power of Christ's forgiveness and heaven sent reconciliation to that little white church in Korea.
You know, I really wonder how many of us continue to hold on to past hurts and pains. I wonder how many of us would identify ourselves with the Koreans, or even the Japanese.
If I can be so direct, I firmly believe that the church needs an occasion like that day in the Korean countryside.
Let me try to bring this a little closer to home. I was told when Emily and I came here almost three years ago that “We all basically get along. And if there is a problem, we deal with it and move on.” However, I'm afraid that while that might be true at times, it is not always the case. I believe with my whole heart that we have people in our church and community that need to experience the power of forgiveness.
On October 19 of last year, I preached a message called “Can't we all just get along?”. You might recall that morning because we placed a trash can at the altar. Many of you came forward trying to get rid of those things that plagued you. However, in recent weeks, I've been told, “Preacher, you know that service you did with the trash can, I'm afraid the difference only lasted about a week.”
And so, with that in mind, we are going to look at the Biblical command of forgiveness and Christ's offering of reconciliation.
If you are still finding difficulty in offering someone forgiveness, or seeking another's forgiveness, I want to encourage you to stick with me this morning- God's Word, and your obedience to it could just change the rest of your life.

Read text. (Ephesians 4:30-32)

This short passage is clear, concise, and to the point. It gives an unmistakable outline for God's expectation in our relationships.
Now, I know that we congnitively understand Christ's command to forgive, but Paul gives us both a command to forgive, and provides the effects of disobedience.
I believe that Paul laid this message out in simplicity so that no one would have the excuse to say that they did not understand why they were really expected to do.
I don't know about your kids, but often when I tell mine to do something, they ask for an explanation. We are at the “why” phase of life. I'm sure that many of you can understand. And in Paul's instruction in this particular section, he begins by immediately answering the why question. And so, to begin to outline his instruction, we note the...

1.) Effect
“Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.” v. 30
I believe this is a very interesting way to grasp the attention of his recipients. He simply tells them to avoid grieving the Spirit of God.
Now, there are many ways that we can grieve the Spirit of God. However, Paul is referring to what comes immediately after that statement. Paul is communicating to the Ephesian people that bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, slander, meanness and unforgiveness all grieve the Spirit.
Now, we probably don't like that. We like talking about how homosexuality, abortion, theft, murder, drug abuse, and countless other things disappoint God. However, how does it fit when His own children are told that it is not only sinful actions, but attitudes that cause Him to withdraw?
I wish that I could tell you something different. However, it is clear that all of these attitudes: bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, slander, unforgiveness, they all grieve the Spirit. They hurt God and cause Him to withdraw intimacy from us.
I know that revival is something that I have placed at the top of our prayer list. It is something that we desire for our own congregation as well as our state and nation. However, we are not going to find it personally until we are each willing relinquish those things that we grasp so tightly.
You are not going to find the peace that passes all understanding until you seek the forgiveness from those you've wronged and granted it to those that have hurt you.
For anyone that has ever harbored ill will or refused forgiveness for those that wronged us, you understand the unrest and grieving that you feel. You can feel that the Spirit is grieved.
When I was worked for Sara Lee, I would get calls every few days from one of the guys asking me what to do to fix a problem they were having with their handhelds. Typically, I could tell them how to do what they call a “warm boot” and get them on their way. However, one day, one of the guys left his handheld for me to fix. I did the same thing that I had done a hundred times before- but something happened. The computer messed up and I had to call tech support in St. Louis.
When I called and explained the problem, we went through the normal routine of identifying my depot- the route number, and all these other formalities. However, the tech guy had some serious attitude. In fact, he asked if I was stupid and who did I think I was breaking their computers. He accused me of losing all of the guy's information and various other things.
During part of the process, I had to enter our bakery number, which was 105. However, he was telling me to enter another number that would not go. He asked me if I even knew where I was- and had some pretty harsh words for me.
Finally, I had all I could take. I put down the handset, walked away and called him a word that I will not repeat. (It was not a cuss word, but I'll spare you anyways) When I returned, I discovered that he had overheard my comment and then refused to do anything else to help. I got his supervisor's information and promptly hung up on him.
We got the computer fixed and running. I had not lost the information or done the other things I was accused of. However, the entire ride home was awkward. I could not rest. I tried to lay down for a nap, but tossed and turned. Finally, I knew that I had grieved the Spirit, and made that call of humility. I asked for the gentleman's forgiveness, and we ended up having a good working relationship from that point on.
When we refuse forgiveness, and proceed proudly pretending that haven't wronged anyone else, we will find that God's Spirit within us is grieved.
The first effect of unforgiveness is grieving the Spirit. But there is more. Mark 11:25 says, “And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.” Mark 11:25
It seems through reading that passage that our forgiveness is conditional on our forgiveness of others. While we could embark on a great debate over this issue, let me simply put it this way. If we have received the Spirit of God, if we have sought His forgiveness, we are expected to forgive one another. The Spirit within us is going to demand that we release others the same way that you and I were released from the guilt, pain, and punishment of our wrongdoing.
Unforgiveness grieves the Spirit of God, and it calls into question the authenticity of our own salvation experience. Paul outlines the effect of unforgiveness, but also conveys requirement of...

2.) Expulsion
“Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice.” v. 31
We are required, as God's children, to put away all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander. We must expel them.
Some years ago, a little boy, that will remain nameless for personal reasons, was expelled from kindergarten because he earnestly believed that rules applied to everyone but himself. He would cause endless trouble for his teacher, and even had a violent streak. The school determined that the only option for him was expulsion. They simply could not deal with him.
Now, what did it mean when they expelled him? They put him out. It was a declaration that there was no room, nor was he welcome to continue to take refuge within the walls of that school.
We are called to do the same thing with these particular attitudes in our lives. We must expel them. We must declare that bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and slander have no place within God's temple.
Can I ask you to be honest with me? Do you see evidence of Christians battling with bitterness and anger? Do you see the presence of slander and clamor within the Christian fellowship?
I'm afraid that we have pretended for far too long that these are insignificant, natural tendencies. Now, they are natural. I believe that it is part of our human nature. We naturally react in self-preservation. We naturally react to some things with anger. However, we cannot pretend that they are without effect or consequence.
You can say what you want. You can pretend that your dislike and bitterness toward certain people is justified. However, all it is going to do is rob you of your joy and peace, and possibly deny them the testimony of Jesus Christ that they need to see.
Certainly, while we are talking about these things, particularly anger, someone is going to point out the story about Jesus at the temple when He overturned the moneychangers tables and ran them out. I believe that Jesus was angry at that point. However, it was a righteous anger.
Please don't fool yourself. Let me ask you to be completely honest with yourself for a moment. Those times that you get angry, those things that you harbor and become bitter over, did the conflict arise because you were defending something of great spiritual importance? Or did it happen because you were personally threatened or attacked?
I know that they are easy to justify, but we are called to put off- to expel bitterness and anger, slander, wrath, and clamor.
When we enter into this place, and gather together with one another, we ought to exude a forgiving and peaceful spirit. It should be a place free from clamor and slander. It should be a place where bitterness and anger are refused refuge.
We see the effect of unforgiveness, the expulsion of ungodly attitudes, and lastly, we note God's...

3.) Expectation
“Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ Jesus also has forgiven you.” v. 32

When you look at the instruction contained in this final verse of chapter four, it seems that this is a lesson intended for our preschoolers.
How many times have you told your children, or heard someone tell their children, “You need to by nice!”?
I believe that we might need to take a step back to some of the more basic things because I'm afraid that there are times when we've lost sight of them.
This is such a simple instruction, yet so many times it looks so completely foreign to what is actually seen and practiced. Be kind to one another. How much more simple can it get?
Now, I know that there are times when we will have disagreements in our lives. I know that there will be times when that happens within the church. However, we can disagree and still be kind to one another. I'm afraid that Christians can be some of the meanest, most vindictive people there are, and we hide behind the guise of “Well, I have to call it sin if that is what the Bible says.”
We should be kind to each other. We should also be tender-hearted.
I realize that there are times when that is really difficult. I understand that there are times when we see people that seem to be reaping the benefits of an errant lifestyle. I know there are times when we would like to say, “Well, see what you get for doing that!”
However, that is not our call. We are expected to be tender-hearted.
When we encounter people that are hurting and struggling, it should be us- God's people that are willing to reach out the helping hand instead of the condemning glance.
If I am completely honest, I'm a little disappointed in the corporate church's response to obvious pain in our culture. Let me illustrate by simply sharing things I've heard.
To the person that is hurting and trying to drown their sorrow in alcohol, we tell them, “Drinking is a sin. You're going to hell if you don't put that bottle down.” To the person struggling with depression, we say, “Well, there is joy in a relationship with Christ. Christians aren't supposed to be depressed. You must not be saved if you are depressed.” To the person that is struggling through a divorce, they hear, “God hates divorce. It's an abomination and you should be ashamed.”
Listen, there are times that we take a slice of Biblical truth and wrap it in judgmentalism. We must rediscover tender hearts. We must hurt with out people when they hurt. We support and struggle with the weak. We celebrate with those that are joyous.
And finally with kindness and tender-heartedness, we add on forgiveness.
We must be willing to seek and offer forgiveness for those ways that we've failed and in those times someone has failed us.
Listen, just because we are Christians does not mean that we are perfect. We cannot live under the delusion that we will never hurt someone or mess up because we are the “good people.” Instead, we must be the first in admitting and seeking forgiveness for our wrongdoings.
This morning, you might tell me, “Well, preacher you just don't know what that person has done to me.” Or maybe it is the other way and you say, “You don't know what all I did to that person. There is no way that I can forgive or be forgiven of that.”
Maybe you can disprove your own excuse this morning. What is the only unpardonable sin? It is blasphemy of the Spirit. It is a continual hardening and resistance to the Spirit of God that definitively declares that God has no place or influence in your life.
If blasphemy of the Spirit is the only unforgiveable sin, is that your sin? I didn't think so. For everything else, forgiveness must be offered.
This morning as we come to our invitation, if there is some business that you need to do, please do not make any excuses or put it off any longer. We cannot harbor unforgiveness and pretend that things are fine.
As we have our invitation, if you need to come to the altar, please come. If you need me to pray with you, I would love to do so. If you have a decision that you need to make public, you have that opportunity as well.
While I would love to see the altar full, and love to experience true forgiveness and restoration like that little church in Korea, it is not going to happen unless we forgive each other.
Does anyone know what Matthew 5:23-24 says? If you bring your offering to the altar and remember that you have something against your brother, what do you have to do?
Well, that is actually a trick. While we must offer forgiveness, the passage says...
“Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift.” Matthew 5:23-24
Scripture commends us that if we know that a brother has something against us, we need to go to them and seek forgiveness before we approach the altar with out offering.
It does not matter if we pretend others haven’t hurt us- if you know that someone is struggling and your relationship is failing because of a past hurt, it is time for reconciliation.

No comments:

Post a Comment